Our ORXtreme JL project has had some twists and turns since the original build plan. It’s a lot of fun to see where we started and where we are now. We learned a lot too! Part of the scope of this project was to use reputable automotive aftermarket companies and components to improve vehicle performance. One upgrade found in the AWE exhaust suite for JL and JLU Wranglers. After looking at our options, we are confident that it is the best sounding Jeep exhaust system on the market.
In addition to the exhaust system, the 2021 Rubicon JLU originally stipulated plans to install a supercharger and other performance items. It became clear. I knew it had a 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 engine, but I didn’t know that this package included FCA’s eTorque mild-hybrid system. This is not him 4XE or anything like that. Simply put, Jeep’s eTorque is a belt-driven motor-generator unit that replaces a traditional alternator. Designed to perform several different functions. Depending on the operating mode, it can generate power to charge the 48-volt battery or provide power assistance to the engine.
Gas engine with battery power assist. I didn’t notice it until now!
So what did eTorque mean for ORXtreme JL? There is no gender. Below is a very large 430 Watt Lithium Ion Nickel Manganese Cobalt (NMC) graphite battery. The battery pack contains a 3 kilowatt DC-DC converter. It holds battery charge, converts 48 volts to 12 volts, powers Jeep Wrangler accessories, and can be used to charge traditional 12 volt lead acid batteries. Hanging in the undercarriage, this suitcase-sized battery is placed where an aftermarket exhaust muffler would normally be placed.
These new revelations have determined what changes ORXtreme JL can and cannot do, so we’ve reset some of our build boundaries based on this knowledge. However, the purpose of the vehicle remains the same. Create a trail-ready off-road daily driver.
We looked at all major brands for high performance Jeep exhaust upgrades. But finding an eTorque-compatible exhaust system was a relatively quick process back then. We landed on the AWE Trail Edition Catback Exhaust on the Jeep JL/JLU SKU: 3015-21003. This is due to the high-clearance design, high-quality stainless steel materials, and hand-crafted precision machining. AWE always checks the box and is perfect for any vehicle application. From the beginning, we were convinced that this was the way to go.
AWE Exhaust Suite for Jeep JL and JLU Wranglers: Multiple Options
AWE has multiple options for the modern Jeep Wrangler. You can also expect his AWE’s no-nonsense exhaust solutions such as his SwitchPath for the 392 Hemi V8 as new models and engine options are created. We also carry our most popular Jeep models, including the JT Gladiator. Please note that AWE offers modular systems and loop-removing replacement pipes. This is what a JL with a long-arm crawler suspension system needs.
Eager to make most systems work on most vehicles, AWE has two versions and a handful of part numbers to satisfy both the 2-liter I4 Turbo and the 3.6-liter Pentastar V6-powered Jeep Wrangler. Did. Trail Edition and Tread Edition. For the ORXtreme JL, the AWE Trail Edition Catback Exhaust has all the features we were looking for, including a pleasant audible sound that is sporty yet bearable enough to ride around town.
Since the new AWE Performance exhaust was installed, I’ve had the opportunity to familiarize myself with its character. I thoroughly drove the Jeep to chase parts, drove to Borsa Chica State Beach to enjoy his Jeep bash, and drove up to the mountains for a weekend of trails. We did miles on the road and hours off road. Indeed, we think this is the best sounding Jeep exhaust for our uses.
What does it take to install the best sounding Jeep exhaust?
Like most AWE products, this is a highly engineered system and doesn’t take long to finish installing. Designed and built as a vehicle-specific direct bolt-on exhaust, everything offers factory-like simplicity and no cutting required. Factory hangers and hardware fasteners make removal and replacement easy. AWE’s instruction manual details the installation process, and in less than an hour I had the old exhaust removed and replaced with the new Performance system. Our shop technician rated the job a quarter of the difficulty he had of a wrench, noting its simplicity without complexity.
Pro tip: Soak all hardware in penetrating lubricant overnight before removing.
Key Features of the AWE Trail Edition Exhaust:
- Specially designed for crawl and off-road
- Provides best-in-class clearance even at the most aggressive departure angles
- Clean, straight design maximizes performance
- Engineered on the Dyno, Proven on the Trail
awe exhaust jeep suite Major features:
- 3″ and 2.5″ USA-made CNC mandrel bends Handcrafted from .065″ wall T304L stainless steel
- Suitable for both 2 door (JL) and 4 door (JLU) applications
- Designed, engineered and manufactured in-house in the USA.
- Available in crawler-designed Trail Edition and road-trip-friendly Tread Edition
- The Tread Edition features AWE’s exclusive patented Drone Canceling Solution, 180 Technology®, and custom-made dual 4.5-inch slash-cut tips.
- An adjustable tip outlet on the Tread Edition allows aftermarket bumpers to be fitted.
- Resonant and non-resonant midpipes sold separately
- Dyno-validated gains up to 5 hp and 10 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels
- Direct bolt-on for factory-like simplicity, no cutting required
- Less is more: Clean and straight design maximizes performance
- Dual 4.5″ slash-cut double-wall tips available in Chrome Silver or Diamond Black (Tread Edition)
- dyno engineering
- Perfect fitment, guaranteed
- AWE No Cell Guarantee
- Lifetime exhaust warranty
Important Equipment Notes:
- AWE Trail Edition Exhaust may not work with lift kits that use the rear swaybar drop bracket.
- Wrangler 4xe fitment includes Tread Edition Axelback system only, no midpipe.
- AWE Tread and Trail Edition Exhaust are applicable to eTorque models.
Project ORXtreme JL: Upgrade with the Best Sounding Jeep Exhaust